Re: NIS And /home Dirs On Client Systems

On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 01:10:13 +0200, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

> Hal Vaughan wrote:
>> I noticed, a few years ago, when I first set up an NIS server, that even
>> though the NIS clients get the full password files, that doesn't mean home
>> directories are automatically created for that user.  I wrote my own Perl
[...]
> What you probably want is autofs (a.k.a. automounter).  You specify
> /home as the mount point to watch and then tell the /etc/auto.home
> file where (on which server, IP, and so on) the home directories
> actually reside.

Instead of configuring /etc/auto.home each time, you can distribute the
automount maps via NIS too.  Then you need not configure anything at all
on the client machines -- except NIS.  With NIS configured, the default
config for the Debian autofs package will work out of the box in this
scenario.

At work, my sid box connects like this to a NetApp NFS server with a
Solaris NIS master.  I haven't investigated what it takes to run the
server side of NIS automount map distribution with Debian.

-Steve