problem with pre-installed packages when using re-compiled kernel

Hi,

My name is Deepa. I am relatively new to linux, even
newer to Debian and the newest to this mailing list.

I first installed Woody (2.4.18-bf2.4) and established
sound (alsa), network connectivity and so forth
successfully. I then compiled kernel-source-2.4.18
with tweaked kernel configs and added this booting
option in LILO. I am able to boot successfully with
either of these kernels.

I have noticed 2 problems though.
1. Alsa and kmix complain of a libasound.so.2 file
missing (no such file or directory). This file (upon
doing a find) is seen to reside deep in the /opt
directory and yet, is not being detected. This problem
is seen upon booting with either of the images.

2. DHCP does not work in the newly compiled image.
dhclient complains of 'Protocol driver not attached'.

This has made me wonder if there is some work involved
in re-installing certain components. If so, what kind
of components and how can I have them work no matter
which debian image I'm running?

Thanks in advance,
Deepa