Re: RC levels

Adam Aube wrote:
Tom Allison wrote:

I don't know if I can modify rc2 and still keep my installations
reasonable.  When debian installs packages (services like postfix) it
will put rc links into rc2 through rc5.  Is there some way to block these?

As long as a linked script exists in one of the rc[x].d directories, the
links will not be updated. This is documented in the man page for
update-rc.d (which Debian packages use to add/remove those links).

If I remove the SXX scripts and replace them with KXX scripts, that might solve the problem for today. But what will happen if I install mysql? Won't I put SXX scripts into rc4.d? I imagine that I'll be continually going back to /etc/rc4.d/ to audit the scripts that are in there. If that's the only way, then so be it, but is there something else I might be missing.

I was really curious to see if there was some way to identify a customization to a given runlevel, something where I could say, "for rcX.d, don't do anything when update-rc.d is executed".

However, IIRC Debian installations default to runlevel 2, so you will need
to change the default by modifying /etc/inittab, or use another runlevel
besides 2.

/etc/inittab says '3'

Runlevel 4 would be a good choice, because the SysV spec designates that
runlevel as unused, and the *nix vendors that use SysV actually all
followed it (at least, I don't know of any that haven't).

Thanks for the information.