Re: Wrong permissions /dev, cannot get ptys, problems starting X

Let me just throw in a hearty "me too!" except that I'm running KDE. I can log in to a console, su, kill kdm (which is hung up on the 660 root.root /dev/null situation), chmod 666 /dev/null, exit, and startx... but once in KDE, no x consoles (xterm, konsole) nor anything requiring a root password will work (apparently "su" cannot be found, despite being in my $PATH).

My /dev listing looks very much like Ronald's, and continues to look the same after I explicitly forced udev to recreate it as per http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2004/04/msg01775.html

It looks like /etc/udev/permissions.d/udev.permissions is being ignored when /dev is populated. Any ideas?

Steve

--
Steve McCullough
web developer