Re: IMAP over an SSH tunnel -- how does it work?

On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 08:45:48AM -0500, Alex Malinovich wrote:
} On Thu, 2005-04-07 at 11:23 +0000, Frank Copeland wrote:
} --snip--
} > The only real benefit of encrypting IMAP sessions is to protect the
} > password used to access the mailbox. This can be achieved without
} > encrypting the entire session, only the authentication stage needs to
} > be secure.
}
} I think this is the reason the OP wanted to do this in the first place.
}
} --snip--
} > You've just ruled out 99.9% of ISPs. 99.9% of email users neither know
} > nor care about these issues.
}
} Sadly enough, you are mostly correct. (From having done freelance
} programming work for a few paranoid ISP's over the years I'd put the
} number closer to 75-80%.) This is why I run my own mail server from
} home, locked down tighter than a <insert vulgar reference here>. :)

For those of us unwilling to pay for either colocation or hosting or broadband
with unblocked SMTP ports, I find that fetchmail using POP3 or IMAP over
SSL works for me. While I did find a mail hosting company (mailsnare.net,
and I've been very happy with them) that provides both at a reasonable
price, there's always gmail (which provides POP3 over SSL).

} Alex Malinovich
--Greg