Re: Reference on shell scripts

Bob Alexander <bob@ngi.it> writes:

> I admit having problems after quite many years using Unices and their
> brethrens with the sequence and scope of the various scripts such as
> /etc/profile, /etc/environment, /etc/bash and their relatives living
> in each user's home directory.
>
> Saying this since I would like my user bob (and only him since he is
> the sysadmin) having /sbin and /usr/sbin in his path in every shell I
> am working in be it under X11 or in consoles.
>
> Is there some sensible reference I can refer to without bugging this
> lists of saints, poets, geniuses and devils ? :)

Sure, the man pages of the shells you use plus those of your X session
managers.

You can't be seriously asking that question after that many years using
Unices, can you? There is no single file you can put into bob's home
dir which will with certainty be sourced by all shells and X session
managers available in our great, dear world. So please, try to narrow
down things somehow and either reconsider or ask again.

Regards, Bruno.