Re: windows seem to scroll by themselves once in a while

On Mon, 2005-04-04 at 16:19 +0200, Andreas Rippl wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 10:24:37AM +0100, michael wrote:
> > Folks - for a while I thought it was me but now I am sure that contents
> > of a window (eg email windows or xpdf windows) do indeed move, seemingly
> > of their own volition - an occasional jump to somewhere else in the
> > contents. I've not managed to convince myself there's no correlation
> > with my moving the mouse but am 99% convinced I don't mouse click at all
> > when such 'auto scrolls' occur...
> >
> > I've searched DU archives but can't find any help (although my memory
> > thought it had seen something there once but just cannot find it now!)
> > so all help very welcome.
> >
> > Details of my system are:
> >
> > michael@ratty:~$ uname -a;cat /etc/apt/sources.list;lspci
> > Linux ratty 2.4.27-1-686-smp #1 SMP Wed Dec 1 19:50:17 JST 2004 i686
> > GNU/Linux
> > #deb file:///cdrom/ sarge main
> >
> > deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ testing main
> > deb-src http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ testing main
> >
> > deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free

{lspci output snipped}

> > What I'm not so sure about is the XF86 config file:
> > # XF86Config-4 (XFree86 X Window System server configuration file)
> > {snip}
> > Section "Module"
> > 	Load	"GLcore"
> > 	Load	"bitmap"
> > 	Load	"dbe"
> > 	Load	"ddc"
> > 	Load	"dri"
> > 	Load	"extmod"
> > 	Load	"freetype"
> > 	Load	"glx"
> > 	Load	"int10"
> > 	Load	"record"
> > 	Load	"speedo"
> > 	Load	"type1"
> > 	Load	"vbe"
> > EndSection
> >
> > Section "InputDevice"
> > 	Identifier	"Generic Keyboard"
> > 	Driver		"keyboard"
> > 	Option		"CoreKeyboard"
> > 	Option		"XkbRules"	"xfree86"
> > 	Option		"XkbModel"	"pc104"
> > 	Option		"XkbLayout"	"us"
> > EndSection
> >
> > Section "InputDevice"
> > 	Identifier	"Configured Mouse"
> > 	Driver		"mouse"
> > 	Option		"CorePointer"
> > 	Option		"Device"		"/dev/psaux"
> > 	Option		"Protocol"		"ImPS/2"
> > 	Option		"Emulate3Buttons"	"true"
> > 	Option		"ZAxisMapping"		"4 5"
> > EndSection
>
> What kind of mouse do you have exactly? As it looks like a wheel mouse,
> why do you have the Emulate3Buttons set to true? I'd set it to 'no' and
> let the wheel click do the middle button action. Might or might not be
> related to your problem...

It is a Microsoft 2-buttons, 1 scroll wheel, optical, wired USB mouse
that's plugged into the PS/2 socket. Have I misunderstood
'emulate3buttons=TRUE' in that it's not "the scroll wheel is the third
button" but rather means "click both buttons to mimic third wheel"?
(Although, I've been using the scroll wheel as third button okay!)
Where's the man page about this since I cannot find it either in `man
mouse` nor `man XF86config-4`?

I've just noticed that my XF86config-4 has two InputDevice sections
relating to mice, ConfiguredMouse as above and

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "true"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
        Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
EndSection

both of which are in the
Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier      "Default Layout"
        Screen          "Default Screen"
        InputDevice     "Generic Keyboard"
        InputDevice     "Configured Mouse"
        InputDevice     "Generic Mouse"
EndSection

but i guess the first, lexically (ConfiguredMouse in this case) is what
is used.

Thanks, Michael