Help with UMASK and file/directory permissions on sarge

I have been searching google for the last couple days and I can't seem
to get this to work right so I would appreciate any help you can offer.

I am setting up an internal web server for our IT department. Each user
has been created with their username as their primary group, but are
also a part of a group I created called webusers. Apache is all setup
to server out the web address through named virtual hosts. The local
path to the directory is /var/www/testing/ which is owned by root with
the webusers group assigned to it. It has been chmodded to 2774.

What I need to do is get any file or directory under the main
/var/www/testing to give full access to the webusers group
automatically, no matter who creates the files. The file/directory
owner is not important.

First I tried looking in a test users ~/.bash_profile for the umask,
which tells me I need to look at /etc/login.defs. I changed the umask
setting in /etc/login.defs to 002, which I believe is correct for what
I am trying to do. This seemed to have no effect. I then edited the
/etc/profile file to have a umask of 002, which seemed to work for any
directories created under that tree, however files are are still not
writable by webusers.

What is the correct way to do what I am trying to do in debian. Will
this affect files and directories system wide or is there a way to
change the umask only for a specifice directory?

I welcome any help anybody can give me. Thank you in advance.