Re: i875/ICH5 IDE and SATA

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005, David Leggett wrote:
> I am attempting to configure a kernel for a system based on an Asus P4C800
> deluxe motherboard.

I have a Intel D875PBZ here, which has a i875/ICH5R.  Kernel 2.6.10, works
perfectly (two ATAPI DVD units and one HD on the PATA channels, two SATA
drives on the SATA channels, BIOS set to enhanced mode).

Try applying the libatadev-queue patches from
ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/people/jgarzik/libata

They may fix the issues you have.  If that happens, please email Jeff about
it, so that 2.6.12 has the fixes in.

> #
> # ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support
> #
> CONFIG_IDE=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=y
>
> #
> # Please see Documentation/ide.txt for help/info on IDE drives
> #
> # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_SATA is not set
> # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HD_IDE is not set
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=y
> # CONFIG_IDEDISK_MULTI_MODE is not set
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=y
> # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEFLOPPY is not set
> # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDESCSI is not set
> # CONFIG_IDE_TASK_IOCTL is not set

I use:
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=y
CONFIG_IDEDISK_MULTI_MODE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDETAPE=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEFLOPPY=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDESCSI=y
CONFIG_IDE_TASK_IOCTL=y

> #
> # IDE chipset support/bugfixes
> #
[...] this is not OK.  Try this:
CONFIG_IDE_GENERIC=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPCI=y
CONFIG_IDEPCI_SHARE_IRQ=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_OFFBOARD=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_GENERIC=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI=y
CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_AUTO=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PIIX=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
CONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO=y
(all other options in this block should be disabled)

> #
> # SCSI device support
> #
> CONFIG_SCSI=y
> # CONFIG_SCSI_PROC_FS is not set

You should enable CONFIG_SCSI_PROC_FS for complete SCSI support from
userland, your SATA devices ARE SCSI as far as almost everything in userland
is concerned (smartctl being the only one program that disagrees).

> #
> # SCSI support type (disk, tape, CD-ROM)
> #
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=y
> # CONFIG_CHR_DEV_ST is not set
> # CONFIG_CHR_DEV_OSST is not set
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR=m
> # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR_VENDOR is not set
> CONFIG_CHR_DEV_SG=m

I use SR, SG and SR_VENDOR all set to y.

  Henrique Holschuh