RE: Sound recording problems

As I understanding it, OSS and ALSA are two different stacks with different
DDI's (device driver interface, bottom end) and API's (top end).  I've always
assumed it's an "either/or" decision and that everything (device driver, stack,
and userland tools) has to match.

I recall beating my head against one or more sound cards on Linux on MIPS and
i386 a few years back, only to give up in frustration.  I had, and still have, a
SoundBlaster Live! Platinum card with the EMU10K chip which was in a Windows box
at the time.  When I put it into the Linux boxes and did a fresh install
(choosing the right device driver), everything worked.  You might want to try
another sound card.

HTH,

David