Re: How to put 'ed' into the background using a BASH shell script?

On Apr 3, 2005 2:20 PM, Scott C. MacCallum <scott.maccallum@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to put the command 'ed' into the background using a BASH
> shell script, but so far I have been unable to do this with the following:
>
> #!/bin/bash
>
> ed&
>
> I found this odd, considering that the following command 'ed&' worked
> fine when inputed by hand in a console.

That actually worked on the command line?  I get:
$ ed&
[2] 26784
[2]+  Stopped                 ed

Which isn't surprising, since ed is interactive.  Is there some reason
you want it in the background, and what do you hope to have it do?

--
Michael A. Marsh
http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~mmarsh