Re: Autofs question

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005, Rob Brenart (TT) wrote:

> So, in my auto.master I put
> /mnt 	/etc/auto.mnt	--timeout=3600

do not use  /mnt for autofs, if /mnt is ued for other things ..
	- it'd confuse you or  others

	- use /.autofs or /.automount instead of /mnt

> And then in my auto.mnt I put
> share1 blahblahblah
> share4 blahblahblah

blah blah is crucial
	share1 -fstype=nfs,ro LinuxBox:/some-exported-directory/share1

> and that's good, but I don't seem to be able to put
> Chicago/share2 blahblahblah
> Chicago/share3 blahblahblah

huh?

this will work  if you have everything right:
	cp anything.txt /.autofs/share1/anything.txt

> Is that just not something autofs supports?

that is "that"

> Do I need to make a new
> auto.X file for each directory which contains shares?

no

since you're talking about (windoze) "shares" .. what has it to do with
linux and autofs ??

linux exports /some-dir/share1

other pc's on the wire will import /some-dir/share1/...stuff..
	pc's can be linux or windoze

	linux will use a auto.net make like oyu show
	windoze will use "network-drive-map" under network neighborhood

> 2) Is there any reason I want to avoid autofs on a server,

autofs is what you want ..

amd is way way more complicated and a bigger kitchen sink with
more features

to get autofs working ...
	you will need to have autofs supported by your kernel
	( cat /proc/filesystems | grep auto )

is automount running ?
	ps axuw | egrep "auto|mount"

what is in your /var/log/messsages in your machine exporting "share1"
and your machine importing "share1"

c ya
alvin