Re: Portmapper issue : cannout mount nfs export

On Thursday 31 March 2005 20:46, Nelson Castillo wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I don't know how to debug this situation.
> I have a client that cannot mount a NFS share.
> I have many clients with similar configuration
> (Root over NFS/Etherboot/IP Kernel level autoconfiguration using DHCP).
> Many clients can mount the share, but one cannot.
>
> What should I try?
>
> How do I tune a sarge box for high nfs load? (54 clients/read only)?
>
> Is is true that in /etc/defaults/nfs-kernel-server you have to increase
> the following number to match the number of remote clients?
> I've read it in some places[1].
>
> # Number of servers to start up
> RPCNFSDCOUNT=16

I'm sorry, but I don't know about this.

> How do I debug NFS?
>
> Regards,
> Nelson.-
>

> [1]http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/diskless-howto.xml
>
> Relevant configuration:
>
> Client: Recent Knoppix CD (testing and troubleshooting)
>

> mount 10.0.0.1:/diskless/root /mnt
> portmap: server localhost not responding, timed out
> portmap: server localhost not responding, timed out
> portmap: server localhost not responding, timed out
> lockd_up: makesock failed, error=-5
> portmap: server localhost not responding, timed out

It appears that portmap is not running on the local (client) machine.
Without portmap running on the client, you won't be able to mount an NFS
share.  Keep in mind that you can make the portmap daemon listen only on
the loopback interface, by uncommenting the example line in
the /etc/defaults/portmap file.

> [snip]

Hope that helps,
Justin Guerin