xdm honours .xsession but wdm not

I'm trying to use wdm and want xscreensaver to be started when wmaker starts. I've searched the list but couldn't find a solution. I tryied to use .xsession and .Xsession with the following content:

#!/bin/bash
xscreensaver -exit
xscreensaver -nosplash &
exec wmaker

I also have in /etc/X11/Xsession.options the line:

allow-user-xsession

But xscreensaver does not start. I've tried to put

xscreensaver -exit
xscreensaver -nosplash &

in /etc/X11/wdm/Xsetup_0 and /etc/X11/wdm/Xstartup_0 but nothing. Also tryied to rewrite .xsession and .Xsession because someone had the problem of having some spurious characters in the file but neither this lead me to a result. When using xdm, xscreensaver is started. May be this problem related to that I'm using xorg compiled not xfree86. I'd appreciate if someone could give me some hint.