Re: question for chrony gurus

John Hasler wrote:
Bob writes:

Does this mean that when I connect to my home ADSL or office LAN I must
remember to manually connect with chronyc and put the servers online ?

The default Chrony configuration is set up for a dialup or PPPoE
connection.  A script in /etc/ppp/ip-up.d uses chronyc to send the daemon
an 'online' command when PPP comes up.  A similar script in
/etc/ppp/ip-down.d takes it offline when PPP goes down.  This keeps the
daemon from bringing up the connection.

You could either remove the 'offline' directives or arrange for the scripts
to be called appropriately.

John,
thank you for trying to help but I am not sure I understand.

In my setup the scripts you mention are never used afaik.

I use one of these setups to connect my laptop
1) Connected to ethernet either at home or in the office and network config is supervised by the ifplugd daemon and performed by the usual ifup ifdown command

2) Connect via PCMCIA GPRS/EDGE card with the wvdial command

3) (rarely) connect via wifi and some custom scripts I have stiched up

So I believe I never use those /etc/ppp scripts you mention.

If I remove the offline directives what will happen if I use the machine while being disconnected ?

Ciao and thanks again,
Bob