Re: shadow password

On Wed, 2005-03-30 at 18:16, James Scott wrote:
> I am attempting to configure a package that is instructing me to
> assign a password to the user account of a different package.  I am
> new to Linux, so I am a little afraid as to what affect this might
> have on my system.
>
> When I look at the /etc/shadow file, the password field is currently
> an exclamation point (:!:).  I understand that an asterisk (:*:) would
> mean that the account is disabled, but I don't what the exclamation means?
>
> If I assign a password to this account, and it breaks the other
> package, how can I change it back to whatever the :!: is?

Well you can always edit your shadow- file as root an change whatever is
in there back to the :!:. This would reset the password back to whatever
! means, I must admit that I do not know what it does mean. But at least
you would be able to go back to the previous state the system was in.

--
 o)      Derek Wueppelmann                 (o
(D .       monkey@monkeynet.ca              D).