Re: Fwd: Stable or Just Old?

The debian strategy is not hard to understand, but the fact is that it
impacts a lot of applications and as people point out, the unstable
version is quite stable.  I am one of the evil ones it seems - Trying
to build a commercial software business and trying to actually employ
developers.  I can't afford to run an opensource shop (yes there are
tons of costs involved) and I must charge for things or I can't
survive.  A small but important minority of my customer base wants
Debian stable because they are concerned with the label.   The costs
and time involved in supporting a version of Linux that relies on 3
year old technology is counter-productive.  This is certainly not your
problem, or anyone elses problem but my own and I am not trying to
whine.  I simply want to point to the fact that supporting this old
software has ramifications for those of us who don't have tons of
free, interested developers pounding away on our projects.   I want to
support debian users, in fact I need to in some cases, but I don't see
why I need to pay such a penalty to do so just because debian is years
behind the rest of the Linux world.    The debian policy makes sense,
but it is taken to an extreme.

End of my participation in this thread....