Re: Mathematica on Debian

Hannuman Bull wrote:
Dr. David Kirkby wrote:

Has anyone successfully installed Mathematica 5.1 on Debian? Whilst

I just had Mathematica 5.1 installed on my Debian Sarge x86 PC last week.

I'm on Woody 3.0, kernel 2.4.19, which perhaps expalins why your system admin had less trouble than me.

Mathematica seems to only officially support Suse and Redhat

http://www.wolfram.com/products/mathematica/platforms.html

I think I'll wait until Sarge is released as stable, then upgrade. I have access to Mathematica on several machines, so I'm not stuck.

I've never attempted to install Matlab on linux - only Windoze and SPARC. The latter allways seems to present me problems with the license manager. R13 would not work due to what Mathwords described as "a bug in Solaris" and what Sun described as "an enhancement". The only solution I could find was on a Japanese web site. Now, when I upgraded from 13 to 14, it managed to stop the 13 working, despite the fact I'd put them in separate directories. One of the license files to gets copied to /etc/somewhere - even though I installed it on /usr/local, it overwrote hte old license file. Luckily R14 seems OK, so I don't need to mess about restoring from tape.
--
Dr. David Kirkby PhD CEng MIEE,
Senior Research Fellow,