Re: System slowdown on NAT installl

On Wednesday, 30.03.2005 at 01:01 -0500, Matt Peter wrote:

> I've just gone ahead and re-installed a testing distribution, and I'm
> trying to restore my original setup, which was a simple debian box in
> front of a windows machine, debian box running NAT via firehol, debian
> running dhcp.  The interesting/perplexing part is this:  As soon as I
> start to go heavy internet usage on usage on the windows machine, the
> linux nat box slows down to unreasonable speeds.  There isn't anything
> really apparent to me going on in top.  I'm using firehol to do the
> nat, along with the rest of the firewalling.  I never had this problem
> before I re-installed the OS, but  now its making the system unusable.
> I'm not looking for specific solutions since this isn't that sort of
> question, but if anyone has any general avenues I can look into, to
> figure out what's making the system crawl, I would much appreciate it.

You say the box "slows down to unreasonable speeds" and "crawls" - can
you identify what aspect of the system is slow?  Is it CPU usage, RAM
usage, disk I/O, network I/O etc.?  If this system is crawling when
you're using a system behind its NAT interface, then that suggests the
NAT rule processing is causing a problem ...

Dave.
--
Please don't CC me on list messages!
Dave Ewart - davee@sungate.co.uk - jabber: davee@jabber.org