Re: Getting PPP to work correctly

On Wednesday 30 March 2005 01:18, Francis Bouchard wrote:
> How do I get PPP to work correctly on Debian.  I can start PPP (ifconfig
> shows my PPP link is up) but when I do, Mozilla does not find hosts neither
> does ping.  Can someone help me with that ?

 If the box as a ethernet card installed you will need to set up the system
for a static ip address for the ethernet card. The static setup needs no
gateway ip and no dns ip addresses. If you miss this setup on the install
just install apt-get install etherconf and configure. If you need to run
etherconf again use the command as su dpkg-reconfigure etherconf

Here is a link to help setup Debian for dialup.
http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/peripherals/modem.html

 All so, to tweek up the dialup speed have a look at setting the mtu size to
576 edit the file /etc/ppp/options  and replace #mtu <n> with mtu 576

   To check the present mtu size when your dialup is connect run ifconfig as
su and look at the mtu size for ppp0  it will be 1500. Once you editted the
file /etc/ppp/options and have rebooted look again at the MTU size for ppp0
and now you should see mtu 576

                        all the best peter

                                  all the best peter