Re: Upgrading woody to sarge

On (29/03/05 18:57), Dalibor Straka wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 06:08:32PM +0200, Helge Tore H?yland wrote:
> > I need to know how to upgrade froom woody to sarge whitout downloading of
> > isos. Is there a apt-get og dpkg way to do it?
> >

> If you don't know how to do it, you better should NOT switch to testing.
> hint: apt-get dist-upgrade
Not sure whether I agree with this although you need to know that sarge
will require more maintainance than woody (until sarge becomes
'stable').

Before you start, install aptitude

To upgrade, edit your /etc/apt/sources.list substituting 'sarge' for
stable or woody

run aptitude from the command line

aptitude update (you may have to run this command more than once)
aptitude dist-upgrade

This will upgrade your system to sarge.  To maintain it, run aptitude
and update package cache (if it doesn't do it by default), I think the
command is Shift-U.  It should then advise you what is being upgraded,
it is best to also install apt-listbugs which will give you the
opportunity, in future, to abort package upgrades if they have critical or
grave bugs filed against them

It is worth getting familiar with aptitude and using it ;)

Regards

Clive

--
www.clivemenzies.co.uk ...