Re: find out the primary packages installed

Revisiting oldies....

on Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 07:04:48AM -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom (hvw59601@care2.com) wrote:
> BRINER Cedric wrote:
> >hi,
> >
> >How can I know which packages I asked to install. Instead of which
> >packages are installed.
> >
> >for exemple:
> >dpkg -l | wc
> >gives me about 1'000 of packaged installed
> >
> >when I just invoke maybe 50 times: `aptitude install <the_package>'
> >
> >In Fact, I'd like to have the list of packages that I install without
> >the one who depends on them!
> >
> >Thanks
> >
> >Cedric BRINER
> >

> There is no way.
>
> I install Sarge fresh from a script, so I know exactly what I asked for.
>
> I asked for precisely 136 packages with apt-get install <package>.
>
> What I have is 566 packages installed from dpkg -l. And there is no way
> of getting back to point to those original 136 that I know of.
>
> I started the "install by script" project precisely to find out what I
> have and need. Because (?) the every decreasing HDD $/MB there is little
> progress in finding out exactly why your Debian/Linux installation keeps
> growing in size, with what, where and why.

Actually, if you use aptitude (and one of the reasons you should
consider doing so, _despite_ issues like bug#299009), is that it logs
actions.  Including both requested and dependent packages.  From a
section of a recent install request:

    Will install 228 packages, and remove 0 packages.
    52.1MB of disk space will be used
    [INSTALL, DEPENDENCIES] gaim-data
    [INSTALL, DEPENDENCIES] libparted1.6-12
    [INSTALL, DEPENDENCIES] libpvm3
    [INSTALL, DEPENDENCIES] libwww-ssl0
    [INSTALL, DEPENDENCIES] povray-3.5
    [INSTALL, DEPENDENCIES] povray-3.5-includes
    [INSTALL, DEPENDENCIES] pvm
    [HOLD] bochs
    [HOLD] bochs-wx
    [HOLD] bochs-x
    [HOLD] bochsbios
    [HOLD] gksu
    [HOLD] mrtg
    [INSTALL] inkscape
    [INSTALL] povray
    [INSTALL] povray-3.5-doc
    [INSTALL] povray-3.5-examples
    [INSTALL] rxvt-unicode
    [INSTALL] sodipodi
    [INSTALL] wmget
    [INSTALL] wmweather+

    <many lines elided>

I suspect the file /var/lib/aptitude/pkgstates may have this information
but can't find a reference to what the flags within the file mean.

Peace.

    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the
    intelligent are full of doubt.
    - Bertrand Russell