RE: changing DHCP server used to assign IP address to laptop

Well, I notice during boot that the DHCPDISCOVER is always bound to the IP
Address of the ISP provider, which was the DHCP server for the set up at
home. I'm assuming that because the 24 hour lease was still in force that
the DHCP client still refers to that server. By the way I do have internet
access at the office, because it is the same ISP as at home, but I do not
have access to the office network. I guess the problem stems from the
DHCPDISCOVER routine during boot, I am using Sarge.

> How do I direct my laptop to a particular static IP address for
> obtaining DHCP leases? I set up the laptop at home, which has a direct
> ISP connection (cable modem), but when I bring the laptop to the
> office I need to get an IP address from a router, not directly from
> the ISP provider.

Is the cable modem interface a different physical interface from what
you use "at the office"?  Or are they both accessed from your laptop's
ethernet connection?

"How do I direct my laptop to a particular static IP address for
obtaining DHCP leases?" is a very strange question.  The whole point of
DHCP is that it doesn't try to connect to a particular IP address (until
you're assigned an IP, you can't do that anyway).  A DHCP client request
involves sending a network broadcast to the local network segment and
something will respond (hopefully) and offer you a lease.

If setting each interface you use to be "get address via DHCP" doesn't
work, then something is wrong with the DHCP *server*.

Dave.
--
Please don't CC me on list messages!
Dave Ewart - davee@sungate.co.uk - jabber: davee@jabber.org