Mencoder (Re: AVI => DVD conversion)

On Wednesday 23 March 2005 13:54, "Roberto C. Sanchez"
<roberto@familiasanchez.net> wrote:
> mencoder (available from Marillat's repository or with mplayer
itself)
> can take a stream of any type of video it can read and recode it any
> other format it knows using 1, 2 or 3 passes.  Google should give
some
> excellent HOWTOs on how to do this.  I used this method to take some
> ~200-300 MB WMVs (from reduced-seat time classes at my school) and
turn
> them into VCDs.

I've used mencoder many times, but there is something going on that I
just don't understand.

For maybe 80% of the video, everything is fine. Yet every once in a
while, with no pattern that I can discern, everything gets pixelated
as if the bit-rate changed to 700bps. After anywhere from one second
to 3 minutes, the image quality will snap back to beautiful and stay
that way until the next pixelated section.

Oh, and 2-pass is consistently worse image quality than single pass
for me too.

Very strange. This is the command line, if anyone wants to comment.

mencoder dvd://1 -o FamilyVideoBackup.avi -oac mp3lame -vop
scale=576:352 -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:v4mv:mbd=2:trell:cmp=3:subcmp=3:mbcmp=3:autoaspect

Curt-

--
September 11th, 2001
planning advocates in American history