chicken-and-egg upgrade problem sparc stable->testing

I have sparc32 running debian stable and am trying to dist-upgrade
to testing by following the provided upgrade doc that will be coming
out with the next release.

Cyclical dependency problems:
  sparc32 stable running 2.2 kernel and old libc6
  cannot upgrade libc6 because of the old kernel
    -- says upgrade kernel first
  cannot upgrade kernel because of old libc6
    -- have to upgrade libc6 first
  tricks in doc to break dependency loop fail because of old aptitude
  cannot upgrade to new aptitude because it depends on new libc6

I've tried to manually run dpkg --install blat
and end up with the same loop dead end (cyclical dependency).

Note I'm following the official (proposed) doc.

My box is sun4m ss20 dual ross hypersparc 150s and am now
running 2.2.20 smp but I know to start off with UP in the newer
kernels to avoid smp issues.  But I cannot even get the newer
kernels to load.

New kernel requires init ram.  But init ram deb requires new libc6.

Ouch.  This is my second pass.  First pass through tangled up
and completely reinstalled Debian stable to start afresh.  This
time I'm trying hard to carefully follow the doc.

Suggestions on breaking this chicken-and-egg problem?
Did I miss something in the doc?  Note that the break loop
option does not work because current stable version of aptitude
does not have "super cow powers".

??

THANKS
Heitzso