Re: rootlogin

On Tuesday 22 March 2005 14:22, lars ebeling wrote:
> Tom Weller at Ambassador Computers <ambassador@eastlink.ca> wrote:
>
> >At the x login window choose actions, Configure Login Manager, and use the
> >root password, then on the security tab you can permanently add root to
> >accepted log ins
> At first I want to be able to login with telnet, since my graphiccard isn't
> correct configured.

This mail thread makes lots of assumptions about things, which seems strange -
so lets take a step back

If you have installed debian what login manager are you using.  I think there
is a choice of several, but the key ones are kdm, gdm and xdm.  WHAT ARE YOU
USING?

I assume your graphic card has actually allowed x to start, and you just can't
get at the screen. IS THAT TRUE, OR HAVE YOU ANOTHER PROBLEM?

Rather than telnet in (which incidentally is insecure - much better to setup
sshd) you can also hit CTRL ALT F1 to get at a text screen, and then login at
the normal text prompt.

--
Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk