X login problems for users

Greetings all. I have run into the following problem and thanks in advance for any help.

System: Knoppix 3.6 HDD install as Debian (yes, I am posting this on knoppix.net as well...)
using 2.4.27 kernel,

I have made the dreaded mistake of apt-get update/upgrade/dist-upgrade on this system with the result being that my users can't log in to X anymore. Root can log in to X or into console, users can log into console but not X. I've tried a number of different fixes I've found in various google searches to no avail including:

1. deleting .Xauthority in /home/user in case that was corrupted.
2. tweaking various versions of .Xsession
3. complete apt-get --purge remove xdm and kdm and reinstall.
etc etc etc...

symptoms:
1. when attempting to log in as user, X accepts the user and password, but then simply restarts the X session, back to login prompt. same thing use kdm.
2. can't access .xsession-errors even as root (!).
3. even startx or xdm or kdm from user console session kicks back out of X.

Any help is appreciated. thanks

Andrew