Re: blocking ssh Root Logins

Rob Sims wrote:
On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 11:54:56AM -0600, Martin McCormick wrote:

Hal Vaughan and others write:

Yes, according to "man sshd_config", you can disable root login by editing
the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file.  If you see "PermitRootLogin Yes" change the
yes to no.  If you don't see it, add the line, but with a "no".  It's
possible the line could be commented out (the default is to permit).

	I did actually read the man page and remember seeing something
about that but I probably failed to kill -HUP sshd, maybe thinking
that it read that file for every new login.  I remember trying it and
still being able to ssh in as root.

PAM will still allow root logins even if PermitRootLogin No is in the
sshd_config file.  You either need UsePAM No also in the config file, or
configure PAM for ssh to deny root logins.

Not on my system.  From sshd_config:
UsePAM yes

If I try to ssh in as root I get denied.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~sanchezr