Re: reboot sets /dev/null to 0660

On Mon, 2005-03-21 at 12:00 -0500, Don Hayward wrote:
> I just installed gnome on a Sarge (currently update/upgraded) that had
> been enlightenment.  Kernel is 2.6.8-2-k7.
>
> When I reboot, /dev/null, /dev/urandom, /dev/random (and possibly
> others) have 0660 permissions, disallowing access by several init.d
> scripts that want to write to /dev/null, among other things, until I
> manually change the permissions.

i had the same troubles. udev was the culprit.

things that i did to straighten it all out (although i cannot say for
sure what did the trick):

0) i was running unstable but hadnt done an upgrade in a couple weeks,
   or i had and i didnt reboot, so udev did not have to repopulate the
   /dev tree. then i did reboot and stuff was hosed /dev/null had 600
   permissions, etc.

1) move any custom rules from /etc/udev/udev.rules
   to /root/10-local.rules

2) # aptitude purge udev (get everythinig clean)

3) # aptitude install udev (get any new config files)

4) # mv /root/10-local.rules /etc/udev/rules.d/

3) reboot, all better.

4) if not all better, then # aptitude remove udev

-matt zagrabelny