Re: slow Internet transfer times

milton@cam.org wrote:

... dials my ISP whenever I try to access either my E-mail or a WWW site.

I then installed 'kwuftpd', 'webmin-wuftpd', and 'wu-ftpd'.

PROBLEM:

When I connect to the Internet it takes 6 minutes to load the login page of the WebMail site I have been using for my E-mail. The borrowed MS Windows 98 box I have, with FireFox on it, takes less than a minute.

What the problem? Can anyone help me?
Hmm...

I've been having a sort of similar problem.

I don't have my system automatically dialing on demand,
(I'm using pon and poff - set up using pppconfig) but my
transfers have been something like a quarter of the speed
I used to get.
I've discovered that in my case, the speed of serial port
ttyS1 is _not_ being set to the speed requested in the
configuration of pppconfig (57600).  Also, if I use minicom,
the terminal emulator's status line (hit CTRL-A) reports
the port speed requested in minicom's configuration, but
if I configure the modem to report the port speed, protocol,
compression and carrier speed and then dial using an ATDT
command, it reports that the port speed is often only 9600bps,
although the terminal program says it is 57600 or 115200. I guess that the modem won't negotiate a carrier rate that
is higher than the port speed, and so I've been getting a very
slow connection.

The 9600bps figure for /dev/ttyS1 is confirmed if I execute:

       cat /proc/tty/driver/serial

(as root)

As I write this, I have a decent transfer rate (for a 33600bps modem)
and a 57600bps port speed.  I can't tell you precisely how I managed
to get it.  I had rebooted, logged into KDE, started a Konsole session,
opened a couple of root console sessions within the Konsole window,
run pon as a user and got a lousy connection, a bit like this:

grover:/proc/tty/driver# cat serial
serinfo:1.0 driver:5.05c revision:2001-07-08
0: uart:16550A port:3F8 irq:4 baud:1200 tx:0 rx:5645 RTS|DTR
1: uart:16550A port:2F8 irq:3 baud:9600 tx:33 rx:69 CTS|DSR

except that the tx and rx byte counts for ttyS1 were higher than that.
I shut down the network connection with poff, and then I mucked
around with mincom for a while, both as root and as a normal user,
and at some point I got this:

grover:/proc/tty/driver# cat serial
serinfo:1.0 driver:5.05c revision:2001-07-08
0: uart:16550A port:3F8 irq:4 baud:1200 tx:0 rx:9659 RTS|DTR
1: uart:16550A port:2F8 irq:3 baud:57600 tx:115 rx:247 RTS|CTS|DTR|DSR

Then I ran pon again and got a decent speed connection.

FWIW, I'm running Sarge with a 2.4.27 kernel that I compiled using sources
from kernel-source-2.4.27_2.4.27-6_all.deb, and a configuration based on,
but different to, that from kernel-image-2.4.27-1-586tsc_2.4.27-6_i386.deb.

To milton@cam.org:
     Get a PPP connection to the net,
     Open a console in as root, then cat /proc/tty/driver/serial
     Post what you find in a reply to this message.
     If you have a decent 56K modem, and it's stuck at 9600bps, you'll
       probably find that available bandwidth is reduced by a factor of
       about 6, which may be consistent with the observed performance
       differences between your linux box and your Window$ box.

     Then hope some guru notices these messages, and comes up with
        a real solution for both of us.  :-)

Any ideas, anyone?

Regards, Rossc.