SOLVED: Re: mgetty modem dial-in. Why No shell login prompt?

On Thursday 17 March 2005 01:02 am, Mitchell Laks wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a PC with a Aceex external v92 modem that I used to dial in to while
> I ran Fedora Core. I am now in the process of switching over all my Linux
> machines completely to Debian. I did this machine a month or 2 ago,
> However, now I have a problem. I found that I cannot dial in to this
> machine via the modem.

Solution: I read the mgetty+sendfax documentation as well as the wonderful
writeup at

http://www.sprint.net.au/~terbut/usefulbox/mgettydialin.htm

The key was that I was able to try to us robotics modem and it worked right
away. So it was a configuration string issue with the aceex modem.

So I downloaded the windows Modem.inf file for this modem (based on a  tp560
modem chip).

I added the following line to the file /etc/mgetty/mgetty.config

init-chat "" AT OK AT&FE0V1&D2&C1S0=0 OK

Now dial-in works fine.

I still don't know why it worked right off the bat with the fedora box. I
wonder if it must be something run via kudzu in fedora which configures the
modem?

Thanks for all your help.
Mitchell