xhost working differently under Debian?!

Hi,

under HP-UX and SuSE Linux flavors, I'm used to do the following
- open two consoles
- on one type 'xhost + localhost'
- on the other 'su - someotheruser' and 'DISPLAY=:0 xclock' (or some
more useful X command).
Then xclock appears on my desktop.

Under Debian sarge, not much extra configuration, I can't make it work.
I always need to enter 'xhost +' and then it works.
I tried on one side:
- xhost + localhost
- xhost + localhost.localdomain
- xhost + 127.0.0.1
and on the other side DISPLAY= with the same kinds of combinations.
I suspect some name resolution problem but I don't know actually.

I didn't touch /etc/hosts and /etc/nsswitch.conf but here they are:

$ cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost       zorglub

::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

$ cat /etc/nsswitch.conf
# /etc/nsswitch.conf
#
# Example configuration of GNU Name Service Switch functionality.
# If you have the `glibc-doc' and `info' packages installed, try:
# `info libc "Name Service Switch"' for information about this file.

passwd:         compat
group:          compat
shadow:         compat

hosts:          files dns
networks:       files

protocols:      db files
services:       db files
ethers:         db files
rpc:            db files

netgroup:       nis

Any kind of idea?

Thanks, Eric

--
Gewalt ist die letzte Zuflucht der Inkompetenz.
    Violence is the Last Resort of the Incompetent.