Re: Network drivers, impossible to blacklist! (also, tkwifi problem)

On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 07:09:59PM +0100, Saverio Trioni wrote:
| Hi, I have a centrino notebook, and work in different network
| environments. The problem is that the kernel automatically loads
| drivers for
| - Ethernet controller (e100)
| - Wireless (ipw2200)
| - Ethernet over firewire (eth1394) (I have no use of firewire now)
|
| I put them in /etc/hotplug/blacklist but they are loaded anyway.

Who loads them?  Surely not hotplug.  Some systems have 'discover2'
installed, and it is another way for modules to be automatically
loaded.  It's also possible if you have module aliases.

| When both WiFi and ethernet are loaded, no network communication is
| possible,

Then you have some other problems too.  I have had three NICs (two
100BaseTX and one 801.11g) in a machine at the same time with no
problems.

| and the eth(number) devices are assigned differently from
| time to time, so it is impossible to relay on /etc/network/interfaces
| to configure, even with ifscheme.

The best solution to this is 'ifrename'.  You can give the interfaces
meaningful names instead of ethX.  The approach I used to use is just
to put
    alias eth0 tulip
    alias eth1 rtl8139
in /etc/modprobe.d/.  This way the names are consistent and the router
never gets "backward".  ifrename is better, though.

| Instead, if no driver is loaded, I can load manually a driver, the
| board get assigned to eth0, and I can "ifup" it, changing
| configuration with ifscheme.

| Why are the modules loaded anyway? Is there another way to "blacklist"
| modules, a part of hotplug?

Most likely you have discover or some other mechanism that is loading
the modules now.  Track that down (use the logs;  rename the driver
and see who complains;  etc.) to solve that.

| Is there a way to make the whole set working without much hassle?

Yes.

HTH,
-D

--
>Linux is not user-friendly.
It -is- user-friendly.  It is not ignorant-friendly and idiot-friendly.
(Seen somewhere on the net.)