Re: Starting X on host while SSH'd in to the box

On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 05:20:23PM -0500, William Ballard wrote:
> How can I start X on a remote host while I'm SSH'd into the box?
> (After I do that I can use x11vnc to remotely manipulate the
> mouse/keyboard.)

Hi,

I'm not sure I understand what you want to do, i.e. if you want to
manipulate the session of a logged in user who can see your actions,
forget what I am about to suggest; some kind of vnc is your friend.

If you want to just display back to you an X11 session, I think there is
a tried and tested approach:

- login to the remote machine using ssh -X
- On the remote machine 'Xnest :0 & sleep 3; wmaker -display :0.0'

Adjust the second line as needed. If you already have a X session,

- Xnest :1 & sleep 3; wmaker -display :1.0

etc. Also start the display manager of your choice!!!

On a higher level, if you have installed gdm, 'gdmXnestchooser' or
'gdmflexiserver' might suit you.

Hth,
--
Andreas Rippl -- GPG messages preferred