Re: bash script - quotes in variables

Dmitry Yakovkin wrote:
> now I want to do that from inside a shell script:

    Messing with quotes, expansions and all the other messiness of shell is
what prompted me to never, EVER deal with shell scripting.  My solution was to
pick up first Perl and later Python.  system() and os.system() respectively
simply do not have that problem.  Also one gains access to the libraries of
the language in question and often have simpler and more elegant solutions to
the problems they are facing.

    Of course if one's goal is to beat one's head against a brick wall until
either the wall or one's head breaks I whole-heartedly endorse any flavor of
shell scripting as the perfect means by which to achieve that goal.  I have
found no better solution short of running some flavor of Windows.  ;)