Re: rc scripts don't terminate

> After an unclean reboot, it seems alot of my startup processes are not
> ending.  A couple hours after booting, this is a process listing from
> 'ps faux':
>
> USER       PID %CPU %MEM   VSZ  RSS TTY      STAT START   TIME COMMAND
> root         8  0.0  0.0  2108   16 ?        T    09:05   0:00 sh
                                             __^__

All your sh's are in the STOP state.  Since /bin/sh is a link to bash, the
/bin/bash executable may be corrupted, or something is sending it the STOP
signal. Maybe some library is bad.  Try sending one of these processes the
CONT signal to see what happens. For the case above you can use

kill -CONT 8

Did e2fsck run at all during boot? You may have to burn the /bin/bash file
with a fresh copy of the executable. Simply re-opening the package may not
be feasible with the system in this state...
							Cheers,

        Jorge L. deLyra,  Associate Professor of Physics
            The University of Sao Paulo,  IFUSP-DFMA
       For more information: finger delyra@latt.if.usp.br