Re: Need all services of an ISP except the actual DSL/Cable line/modem

On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 05:11:39PM -0600, Rob Brenart (TT) wrote:
> I'd suggest buying an address and getting a cheap hosting provider who
> will give you email and the appropriate size/bandwidth you need...
> shouldn't cost more than 5 bucks a month that way, plus about 8 bucks a
> year for the domain name.

I don't think anybody is offering what I'm looking for.  I called
SpeakEasy, and they said I had to buy a domain name (don't want to do
that), and my email would be whatever@domain.com.  I wanted
whaterver@speakeasy.net.  Plus, no NNTP access.  I basically want all
the features you get from a good ISP minus the actual access --
something a lot like AOL for Broadband but not with a sucky provider.

I don't want my own domain name (expensive, have been burned by identity
theft last time I registered a name), I don't want the world to know
about my little thing.

Basically what I want is a login account on some nice person's server,
POP3/SMTP with SSL access, a stable email name on some reliable server,
a bit of storage, SSH access, and maybe the ability to read newsgroups,
webpages, or email on some nice friendly computer without the world
being able to see my business.  I'm willing to pay $20 a month or
something.