Re: EXT2 or EXT3 : What have I got?

On Wed, 2005-03-16 at 15:58 +0100, Urs Thuermann wrote:
> Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:
>
> > On Wed, 2005-03-16 at 02:35 -0800, Harshal wrote:
> > > i don't see any filesystem type, after file -s /dev/hda1, instead i see
> > > the following, what's wrong?
> > >
> > > [harshal@aips ~]$ file -s /dev/hda1
> > > /dev/hda3:
> > > [harshal@aips ~]$
>
> Is that really the output you got from file(1), or did you hand edit
> this?  Your argument to file is /dev/hda1 and the output reports
> something about /dev/hda3.  This is very strange and suggests there is
> something really broken on your system.

Maybe it depends on the filesystem?

This, from a reiserfs partition:
  $ file -s /dev/hda5
  /dev/hda5: data

> > That's because "file" looks at files, not devices.
>
> No, that's why I told to use the -s option.

I stand corrected.

[snip]

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"Peace is not something you wish for; It's something you make,
Something you do, Something you are, And something you give
away."
Robert Fulghum