postfix + SASL + pwcheck

Hi all,

My problem appears to be a reoccurring problem, but I've looked at the previous solutions and they don't seem to apply (please correct me if I am wrong).

I want to get SMTP authentication using the regular password file, using the pwcheck daemon. I've successfully gotten SASL auth to work using the pwcheck_method: sasldb, but can't get pwcheck daemon to work.

From strace, I can see that postfix/smtpd is reading the appropriate smtpd.conf file to see my configuration directive for pwcheck_method, but is ignoring it.

sudo strace -f postfix start |& grep pwcheck
[pid 10080] read(9, "pwcheck_method: pwcheck\t\n", 1024) = 25
-> nothing more

Notice, no attempt to open the pwcheck domain socket. A further trace of just smtpd shows that it is actually reading /etc/sasldb.

The pwcheck daemon is running. When I do a syscall trace of that during authentication.

ps -ef | grep pwcheck
root     28352     1  0 Mar14 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/pwcheck

I've set up links so that the pwcheck domain socket appears in the right place:

srwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Mar 14 21:00 /var/spool/postfix/var/run/pwcheck/pwcheck

Any thoughts? My only thought is that the pwcheck support for sasl comes in a package that I haven't installed. I've listed the installed sasl packages that I have installed below.

Platform: debian woody (stable)
Postfix: 1.1.11

dpkg -l | grep sasl
ii  libsasl-digest 1.5.27-3       DIGEST-MD5 module for SASL
ii libsasl-gssapi 1.5.24-15woody Pluggable Authentication Modules for SASL - ii libsasl-module 1.5.27-3 Basic Pluggable Authentication Modules for S
ii  libsasl7       1.5.27-3       Authentication abstraction library.
ii  sasl-bin       1.5.27-3.1wood Programs for manipulating the SASL
users dat

Thanks!
Jon