General kernel upgrade questions

Hi,

Have a system running kernel 2.4.27 and would like to upgrade it to 2.6. I am
somewhat confused though whether I need to compile and build 2.6 kernel or I
could use the kernel-image package, e.g. kernel-image-2.6.8-10-2-386.

My understanding is that compiling kernel is necessary to include modules
specific to the support hardware on which the kernel will be installed. In this
case, what is the point of providing kernel-image? How does one know what
modules the kernel-image includes and whether it will work on the specific
hardware one has? When one installs Debian on a new box from Debian CD, does
the installation process compile the kernel or just use a pre-compiled kernel
image?

Thanks in advance