Strange problem with cdrecord in Debian unstable

Hello all,

I am experiencing a strange problem with cdrecord in Debian unstable. I tried to burn a cd iso (using k3b as a normal user). It started ok, speed was around 20x. Then, suddenly, after 220 MB, the speed dropped at around 2-3x until the end.

At first, I thought there is a problem with the permissions for cdrecord. I've noticed that /usr/bin/cdrecord is a bash script which is suided and which calls cdrecord.shm or cdrecord.mmap based on the version of the kernel. However, these 2 programs are not suided.

Anyway, I've tried then using directly cdrecord from command line, as root, using the exact same media. And the results are EXACTLY the same! Exactly at the same point, at the 221th MB, the speed drops!

So do you have any idea what might cause this behavior? Because I am totally clueless here.

Thanks!

Regards,
Stelian

Some details:

paradise:~# uname -a
Linux paradise 2.6.10-1-686 #1 Fri Mar 11 03:55:46 EST 2005 i686 GNU/Linux

paradise:~# cdrecord --version
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01.01a01 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg Schilling NOTE: this version of cdrecord is an inofficial (modified) release of cdrecord
      and thus may have bugs that are not present in the original version.
Please send bug reports and support requests to <cdrtools@packages.debian.org>. The original author should not be bothered with problems of this version.