Re: Installing a single .deb file

On Mon, 2005-03-14 at 21:17 -0500, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> Rich Rudnick wrote:

> >>Easy is typing 'dpkg -i filename'.
> >

> > Assuming filename has no uninstalled dependencies. By jiminy, that
> > sounds like the nearest thing to rpm hell debian has to offer :)
>
> It is basically the same thing.  For example, dpkg:rpm::apt:urpmi.
> In other words, rpm is just a format and some associated low level
> tools.  Like dpkg, it performs no dependency checking or resolution.
> It is a common misconception that people have that the problem is
> with rpm.  It is not.  Imagine trying to use dpkg in the same way
> many people use rpm and you will see it is just a case of the wrong
> tool (or no tool) for the job.

Yes, that's why dpkg -i is Abaddon, abyss, affliction, agony, anguish,
blue blazes, bottomless pit, difficulty, emergency, everlasting fire,
grave, Hades, hell-fire, hot place, infernal regions, inferno, limbo,
lower world, martyrdom, misery, nether world, nightmare, ordeal,
pandemonium, perdition, pit, purgatory, suffering, torment, trial,
underworld, wretchedness, and I avoid it like the plague. Of course,
sometimes it's been the only cure for my own stupidity :)