Mounting a little deeper with autofs

Ok, thanks to help from this list, I basically got autofs working, but
I'm confused by one little point...

So I have a file called auto.mnt which is set to work for the /mnt
directory

Two lines in there go like so...

share1 -fstype=smbfs,credentials=credfile,rw,user ://machine1/share
share2/subshare2 -fstype=smbfs,credentials=credfile,rw,user
://machine2/share

The first line works perfectly fine, and if I go to /mnt and type ls
share1, it's all fine.

The second line however, is not so good... it seems to me it just
completely ignores the subshare2 part of the line. I can go to /mnt and
type ls /share2, and everything in //machine2/share is listed.

Is this not something autofs supports? Do I need a separate auto.* file
to mount at this level? (I'd rather not since I have many shares of this
sort)