Re: [OT] Reading data from CP/M disks

Patrick Wiseman wrote:

Apologies for asking, but there's so much knowledge here!  And I _am_
a Debian user.

I'm about to be responsible for some work of my late father, written
on an Osborne Vixen and saved to disk.  5.25" disks, of course.  I
have the disk drive, but is there any way to read the disk?  His files
will have been generated by WordStar, but I'm only concerned to
extract text, so I don't need to emulate CP/M and run WS (although
that _would_ be cool!).
This is a very interesting question. I too should like to know whether this is possible. On old SCO Xenix and SCO UNIX systems, it was possible to do this by accessing the /dev/fd048ss8 device (48 track per inch, single sided, 8 sector), or /dev/fd048ds8 (double-sided).

The floppy device is capable of handling these old formats, but is the Linux device driver similarly capable?

cheers
Duncan