Building 2.6.x kernel with gcc-3.0

I've 3.0r4 installed with the default 2.4.18 kernel.

I need to use a 2.6.x kernel built with gcc 3.x. This is in order to
work Linux-from-scratch for an embedded application (Debian is still
not small enough :-)).

I found Falko Timme's webpage on how to build a 2.6.x kernel.

However, the compilation of the kernel comes back with "Unresolved
symbol" errors in a whole bunch of .ko files.

Here is what I did :
1. Change the soft links for 2.95 tools to 3.0 tools e.g. gcc to
gcc-3.0
2. Run make drproper
3. make menuconfig
4. make-kpkg clean
5. fakeroot make-kpkg --revision=custom.1.0 kernel_image

I tried 2.6.8.1, 2.6.10 and 2.6.11

Help!

Thanks.

Ben