Re: usb device

Well, thanks a lot Eric. You have been really helpful! It turned out to be /dev/sdb1

From: Eric Gaumer <gaumerel@ecs.fullerton.edu>
To: Michael Sry <michael_sry@hotmail.com>
CC: greatexcalibur@yahoo.com, debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: usb device
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 10:14:27 -0800

Michael Sry wrote:
Then, in that case, what would be the possible explanations behind the
message

mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device

This means it doesn't appear to be sda1. What type of device is it? I see it's some type of compact flash reader right? Does it support more than one type of removable media? If so it uses multiple LUNs and the device could be sdb1 or
sdc1, etc... depending on how many types of cards it supports.

Run:

]$ tail -f /var/log/syslog

and then plug the device in and watch to see what devices are detected.

By the way, I am not sure if this has anything to do with the problem,
but I don't know if it has something to do with the kernel. When I try
to configure the kernel with kde I get the following message

"The kernel configuration could not be read due to the following error:
No hardware architecture was specified! Perhaps the kernel source code
is not installed on this system, or the path to the kernel sources is
entered incorrectly.
Either your kernel sources contain invalid configuration rules or you
just found a bug in the KDE Kernel Configurator."

It seems that the location /usr/src/linux is empty!

This just means you have the kernel source installed. No biggie...

Thanks a lot for your help!

--
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school."
	- Albert Einstein

FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar - get it now! http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200415ave/direct/01/