Re: install without loosing data

--- belahcene <belahcene@iap-cu.dz> wrote:
> Hi,
> I want to install debian in my HD, but I have only *one* partition, when
> I use fdisk at the installation step and resize the  window$  partition,
> the window$ can't run, even I take the first cynlinders for win$.  The
> magicPartition does this but not free. I know that *suse *does it too ,
> at the installation step. can I do it with debian. In the ancient
> redhat, there was fips, but unfortunalty it runs only in DOS.

Well if this one partitions contains NTFS then you need some win32 tool for resizing.
If its FAT then and theres windows installed on then you can use fips.
I dont know how fips runs on nt(2k/xp) + FAT, if theres a problem you can get DOS floppy , boot up
and run fips from there.

if its ext2/3 partition you can boot up from debain install, go to console 2 (alt+f2),

mkdir /tmp/hda1
mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1
cd /tmp/hda1
mkdir _old
mv * _old
cd /
umount /tmp/hda1

and go on with installation process.
but when it ask you wheter to format root partition when be sure to say no.

http://www.axeltabs.com/
.