Re: install without loosing data

On (11/03/05 16:54), belahcene wrote:
> Hi,
> I want to install debian in my HD, but I have only *one* partition, when
> I use fdisk at the installation step and resize the  window$  partition,
> the window$ can't run, even I take the first cynlinders for win$.  The
> magicPartition does this but not free. I know that *suse *does it too ,
> at the installation step. can I do it with debian. In the ancient
> redhat, there was fips, but unfortunalty it runs only in DOS.
>
> best regards
> bela
I'm pretty sure that partman, within the sarge d-i rc2 installer does
this.  However, if you want to play safe, download and burn Knoppix.
Boot into Knoppix and run QTParted.  Don't forget you need to defrag the
windows partition first, possibly more than once,  to get all the windows
files to the beginning of the disk to avoid overwriting them; otherwise
your windows system may break. ...and of course, back up anything you
need ;)

--
www.clivemenzies.co.uk ...
...strategies for business