Re: Can't Create Child Process - No Usable X11

  john> Did you recently update udev?

I'd have to review my 'apt' logs, but yes, I believe it has been
updated within the last couple of weeks.  I'm keeping all of my
sarge/testing systems as current as possible (though have noticed few
new updated packages for the last few days).

You're suggesting something I've been suspecting all along ...

  john> What does /etc/udev/rules.d/udev.rules points to?

        /etc/udev/rules.d/udev.rules -> ../udev.rules

  john> The format of the rules files got changed when the permissions
  john> files got removed.

*New info*:

My almost identical *home* system (this thread refers to my office
machine) "suddenly" is showing similar behavior.  One of the first
things I noticed on my office machine was a changing of /dev/null's
permissions to 660.  Reviewing logs at *home* yesterday, I saw error
messages indicating the same change.

Something is "fishy" here!  How to recover?

Thanks for your, Eric's and others' comments/suggestions ...

  -Kenneth