Smart Fan Control on Gigabyte K8-NSP: Fan always on full speed

Hi all!

I've installed powernowd 0.90-3 and that's working great (CPU freq.
from 1GHz to 2.4GHz on AMD64 3400+). Also installed lm-sensors
2.9.0-14.
In the BIOS I've enabled "Smart Fan Control" and this worked until
yesterday. The current CPU temp. is about 27C and before it stopped
working, the CPU fan stopped at this temperature and resumed operation
when the temperature reached a certain level.

I'm really stuck now and clueless what might have caused the "Smart
Fan Control" to stop working (I already tried to disable it in the
BIOS and enable it again).
I guess lm-sensors might be the cause, but after reading docs on the
lm-sensors site (i.e. it87 docs) I'm still clueless.

Any pointers very much appreciated!

Thanks & best regards,
Hannes.